Wednesday 25 April 2018

Spreading the Word

It's hard enough to write a book but it's even harder to try to promote it. Very successful writers have agents and publishers who do that work for them but for people like me, with a small publisher like Oolichan, it's not easy. That's why it's a wonderful thing to have a friend like Frances (Materfamilias) who has a splendid blog with a great many followers.

I've never been a fan of social media but, when I see the effect that someone like Frances can have in connecting with many people and sharing her enthusiasm about what she is reading, writing and thinking, I realize I have to shift my attitude. Which means I am going to try to learn something about social media and see if I can make something of my own sporadic blogging attempts. At least I will try to write more frequently.

Frances is a wonderful writer and I was moved and encouraged by her card to me:

The book is wonderful -- I'm already halfway through now and you're right -- there is much in it to alleviate the tears. Most of all, a great big love story, and then the lashings of humour, your examination of words, the literary references, the various geographies. It's very rich for such a small book. I marvel most at how much work it must have taken to rein in emotions while giving your reader enough detail to make your wisdom on bereavement convincing. Platitudes wouldn't work, obviously, but neither would overwhelming your reader with the raw personal. Managing to keep that tone, the intimacy of a letter to Mike, knowing we're reading over your shoulder, that must have been tough, technically and emotionally.

Read the whole post here:

http://materfamiliasknits.blogspot.ca/2018/04/a-memoir-of-love-and-grief-bereavement.html

Isn't she a wonderful writer? I'm very grateful for her kind words and for the response from her many readers. She is an inspiration and her blog is well with following.

The last time I looked there were 35 comments on this post, with many people indicating that they were ordering the book because of what Frances wrote.

It's been an eye-opener. And a heart-opener. And that's why I am making a commitment to work on this blog.

Thank you, Frances.

1 comment:

  1. Finally discovering this post, and I'm touched by your appreciation. Thank you! (no, thank you. . . No, thank YOU, and so on, and so on ;-) )
    And I'm honoured and delighted to think I might have inspired you to put more of your wisdom and insight out into the world in whatever medium. Welcome to the Blogverse! (I know, Ugh . . . .) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete